NNUE

Discussion about development of draughts in the time of computer and Internet.
BertTuyt

NNUE

Post by BertTuyt » Wed Aug 19, 2020 22:15

Joost brought to my attention that a new breakthrough is happening in Computer Chess.
It is called NNUE , which stands for Efficiently Updatable Neural Networks (but spelled backwards :o ).

I would advice programmers to have a look at the talkchess.com website.
Maybe of interest for Computer Draughts.

Bert

Krzysztof Grzelak

Re: NNUE

Post by Krzysztof Grzelak » Thu Aug 20, 2020 13:14

A very interesting thing. I played a test match against Komodo version 14 and the match ended in a draw. With weaker engines, Stockfish usually wins. I think it would be a very good thing for draughts programs.

Madeleine Birchfield

Re: NNUE

Post by Madeleine Birchfield » Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:19

A comment on the NNUE archirecture; chess and shogi engine devs usually use the halfkp architecture, which encodes on the first layer the relation between the player's own king and each piece on the board. However draughts doesn't have an equivalent of the 'king' piece in chess and shogi (draughts king = promoted piece in shogi/chess), so a different architecture must be used. The github repo at https://www.github.com/tttak/Stockfish has additional possible architectures in the src/eval/nnue/architectures folder, like mobility and p (piece), which might be usable in draughts, but more likely new architectures might have to be designed like piece-count and king-count, etc...