Electronic checker boards (over bluetooth)

Discussion about development of draughts in the time of computer and Internet.
AartBik

Re: Electronic checker boards (over bluetooth)

Post by AartBik » Mon Jan 07, 2019 00:16

Not much feedback (yet?), but I am continuing with this idea regardless. Below you see the concept, a regular piece and a king (dividing the 32 identifying chips of Certabo into 24 regular pieces and 10 kings, to avoid having to stack the regular pieces). Courtesy my brother-in-law for the 3D printed checkers pieces.

AartBik

Post by AartBik » Thu Jan 17, 2019 21:13

I got my new set of identifying chips from Certabo. Together with custom-made checker pieces (courtesy Gerard Harbers) , Checkers for Android is ready to play!

Rein Halbersma

Post by Rein Halbersma » Mon Jan 21, 2019 14:00

It looks really awesome, but why isn't stacking the pieces a viable solution? Or do you need a weight sensor for that?

AartBik

Post by AartBik » Mon Jan 21, 2019 20:39

Rein Halbersma wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 14:00
It looks really awesome, but why isn't stacking the pieces a viable solution?
Yes, Checkers for Android could easily identify the chip of the piece that promotes as a king and play from there. The human players probably want to mark that piece also somehow for their own recognition (and stacking would work, since the "bottom" chip is identified by the board). This would have been my solution if you had to pay for each Certabo identifying chip individually. But since they ship in sets of 34, I thought this would be the most fun solution.

Krzysztof Grzelak

Post by Krzysztof Grzelak » Sun Jan 27, 2019 17:09

Hi AartBik.

I have a question because I'm very interested in it. Is using a board " Electronic checker boards (over bluetooth) " to run a Russian draugths tournament in flying draughts. I would like to buy this board, but I must know that it will meet my expectations.

Krzysztof Grzelak.

AartBik

Post by AartBik » Mon Jan 28, 2019 01:30

Krzysztof Grzelak wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 17:09
I have a question because I'm very interested in it. Is using a board " Electronic checker boards (over bluetooth) " to run a Russian draugths tournament in flying draughts. I would like to buy this board, but I must know that it will meet my expectations.
Hi Krzysztof,
I would really like to see an actual audience for this idea. A few things to consider though.
  • The board connects over USB, not bluetooth (if that matters to you)
  • The board does not come with checkers pieces but with identifying chips
    (so you can simply attach the chips to a set you own, or 3D print your set)
  • Checkers for Android is, afaik, the only one supporting this board for checkers
    (so make sure this app meets all your needs, you can download it now and try)

Krzysztof Grzelak

Post by Krzysztof Grzelak » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:31

AartBik wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 01:30
Hi Krzysztof,
I would really like to see an actual audience for this idea. A few things to consider though.
  • The board connects over USB, not bluetooth (if that matters to you)
  • The board does not come with checkers pieces but with identifying chips
    (so you can simply attach the chips to a set you own, or 3D print your set)
  • Checkers for Android is, afaik, the only one supporting this board for checkers
    (so make sure this app meets all your needs, you can download it now and try)
Thank you for your response AartBik.

- the board connects over USB, not bluetooth (if that matters to you) - even for me it's better that by USB.
- the board does not come with checkers pieces but with identifying chips (so you can simply attach the chips to a set you own, or 3D print your set) - it's very good that someone does something like that

I would like to test, but unfortunately I can not. I do not have Android. Please, do it on Windows 10 64 bit.

AartBik

Post by AartBik » Mon Jan 28, 2019 22:38

Krzysztof Grzelak wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:31
Please, do it on Windows 10 64 bit.
Ai, I am terribly sorry, but this is really an Android only project for me. You may want to ask on the Certabo Forum if there are any plans to support checkers with a Windows application.

Krzysztof Grzelak

Post by Krzysztof Grzelak » Sat Feb 16, 2019 20:19

Thank you very much for the information.