World Draughts Forum

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 08:28

All times are UTC+01:00




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Plagiarism
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 07:04 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 17:16
Posts: 558
Real name: Krzysztof Grzelak
I have a question. How to check if another program does not use the code of a program.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Plagiarism
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 18:15 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 19:42
Posts: 1303
There might be several levels (with difference in acceptance by the community), with several levels of detection.
Use code and data as is.

In some cases it might be acceptable, for example Ed allowed others to use the 8P DB and corresponding drivers.
And in the past many 6P DBs were based (both data as code) on the work of Michel and Harm.
General accepted, as all DBS (if they contain no errors) should yield the same results, not detectable, but it might be good to mention that somewhere.

One can code ideas of other programs , but not use the code as is.
Here are many examples like the base alpha-beta and all kinds of search enhancements like aspiration windows, killers, hast table and LMR (too name a few).
Think in general there is no exclusive right for ideas, and it is common practice to share and use.

Were things become critical is the evaluation function.
Basically the DNA of the program, and which result in a recognizable fingerprint.
I guess that (for example) using the ideas of Fabien (so the way positions are evaluated) is something which others might use (or already used in the past like Michel with Dragon).
However using exactly the same code and data-file is not done.

Bert


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Plagiarism
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 18:53 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 17:16
Posts: 558
Real name: Krzysztof Grzelak
The more I mean about how to check if a program uses code from another program.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Plagiarism
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 21:44 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 19:42
Posts: 1303
In the end one needs to have a look at the source code.
Many programmers in this forum can recognize code fragments from other programs.

Bert


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Plagiarism
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 05:06 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 17:16
Posts: 558
Real name: Krzysztof Grzelak
Bert, how to detect that a programmer is using someone else's code in his program.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Plagiarism
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 06:53 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:30
Posts: 22
Real name: Igor Le Masson
Location: Brazil
There are a lot of techniques, most of them non-trivial and based on reverse-engineering tasks and move pattern similarity deep analysis.

Just for historical reference occurred on chess community: Rybka plagiarism case


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Plagiarism
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:56 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 17:16
Posts: 558
Real name: Krzysztof Grzelak
igorlemasson wrote:
There are a lot of techniques, most of them non-trivial and based on reverse-engineering tasks and move pattern similarity deep analysis.

Just for historical reference occurred on chess community: Rybka plagiarism case


For God's sake we write about draughts rather than chess.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Plagiarism
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 12:54 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2004 16:04
Posts: 1559
Krzysztof Grzelak wrote:
igorlemasson wrote:
There are a lot of techniques, most of them non-trivial and based on reverse-engineering tasks and move pattern similarity deep analysis.

Just for historical reference occurred on chess community: Rybka plagiarism case


For God's sake we write about draughts rather than chess.


See the RYBKA_FRUIT.pdf report in the first post on this thread: http://www.open-chess.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1104
It explains how compare program binaries through reverse engineering en similarity analysis


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Plagiarism
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 13:37 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 17:16
Posts: 558
Real name: Krzysztof Grzelak
Rein Halbersma wrote:
See the RYBKA_FRUIT.pdf report in the first post on this thread: http://www.open-chess.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1104
It explains how compare program binaries through reverse engineering en similarity analysis


A brief question as to how to do this analysis. Remember that you do not know programming.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Plagiarism
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 06:56 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 22:24
Posts: 128
Real name: Catherine Bourneuf
Krzysztof Grzelak wrote:
Rein Halbersma wrote:
See the RYBKA_FRUIT.pdf report in the first post on this thread: http://www.open-chess.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1104
It explains how compare program binaries through reverse engineering en similarity analysis


A brief question as to how to do this analysis. Remember that you do not know programming.


Hi Krzysztof

I think that without any knowledge in programming you will not be able to do it yourself. Reverse engineering and others programming tricks must be knew.

Best regards
Catherine.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Plagiarism
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 17:12 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 17:16
Posts: 558
Real name: Krzysztof Grzelak
Catherine wrote:
Hi Krzysztof

I think that without any knowledge in programming you will not be able to do it yourself. Reverse engineering and others programming tricks must be knew.

Best regards
Catherine.


Well that alone does not solve my problem during my future tournaments. How do I know if a particular engine is allowed to enter the tournament or not. Another thing is that if the programmer's file (engine) is encrypted by the programmer then how to check if the programmer is using another program code. At one time Bert Tuyt wrote that it is easy to check, only wish he did not write like.


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC+01:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited